We are living in a world where every now and then everyone requires a person who can design creative & professional posters, banners and what not for their online business or either social media but apart from relying upon a graphic designer, most of us are left with no choice. This is where a free (even paid) layout – web based program called CANVA that has many creative uses, comes really handy. You can use Canva to create whatever type of content you are looking for. Canva has templates for most social media, blogs and other promotional and writing mediums. Canva offers a variety of pre-sized image templates, documents, invitations, ads and whatever you need. Importantly, even in case you don’t find a pre-defined content you can always create a custom sized project defining your own height and width.
Now, let’s look upon the key features that Canva provides and why you should start using Canva right very now :
1. Free to use for most purposes : Though Canva does come in both paid and unpaid version but a person can use it depending upon its need. Most beginners and business owners are able get their needs fulfilled through the free version itself as it doesn’t restrict users to use any of the templates. Since, Canva allows users to upload pictures from outside internet to be used in the design, therefore the size assigned to every free user initially is 1GB and also you can even collab with up to 10 members in the free version. In case if your requirements exceed you can always opt for the paid version as well.
2. Doesn’t require any sort of training and knowledge to get started : Since Canva, as already mentioned, can be used by anyone irrespective of the profile the person originates from as its drag and drop functionality enables you to get started with constructing some beautiful content for your online presence in no time at all.
3. Collab and work : The most interesting feature in Canva is the collaboration which enables you to allow your file to share and at the same time you assign power to edit it as well. In this way, a team can work together in building beautiful and powerful content for the organisation, website or any portal.
Quick guide to get started with Canva and start using it for your presence over the internet :
(i) First and foremost, head over to http://www.canva.com and if you haven’t registered at canva.com before, start with making an account either by using social media api’s or simply by filling out the form. Existing users can simply log in either using Email ID or password or by log in via their existing Facebook or Google account.
(ii) Post login screen there will be another screen where all your previous designs are placed if you have been working on canva, you can continue over by choosing the previous designs and continue to edit them or you can simply opt for one of the new design template from upper section. There are several pre-sized layouts according to everyone’s need but if you are looking to build something with custom size, you click on “use custom dimension” on top right and simply start by entering “width” and “height” in the blanks.
(iii) After opting for a design, the most magical area of Canva comes, where all the designing takes place.
On the left side from of this side, you can find certain tabs, starting from :
- Search – To search images from a huge collection at canva.
- Layouts – It contains already constructed layout and just simple by modifying text according to the needs, the design is ready to use.
- Elements – This tab contains all several pre-defined material like shapes, lines, photos, grids, icons, charts, etc. which can be used while building a report or content.
- Text – To add any text in the content, you can simply choose one of the pre defined text design or you can pick a simple text and then modify it with your own required font and size as well.
- Background – Background tab is used to give background to your content and, you can even use pre-defined backgrounds as well.
- Uploads – Uploads is the most used and important section as you can upload any picture that he want to use in your design and as it uploads, it is reflected in the uploads section from where you can drag and drop to use it in your designs.
(iv) Now, from the layout section, you can design any layout that you like, you can hover over a layout to see where its free or paid($). Like in this section, I have just used a free layout.
(vi) Download or share your design. From the top left section in menu bar, I have options to download the design in the format I wanted like png, jpg, pdf, etc. or you can even share your design directly to your team from the share button.
(vii) Here is the final output design :