The workload of an IT manager has increased ample the amount in the last few decades. IT manager has to perform different jobs to maintain the business and to stay updated with the changing trends of technology. Software bundling is one of the popular tools which is used by IT people these days. But, software bundles are accompanied by some serious challenges which we will discuss in the post ahead.
Goals of IT Manager
- They have to negotiate the ideal financial situation and to find the best performing one.
- Take care of all the details so that clients can focus on their day to day operations.
- Undertake the change while making sure that all the new developments are enforced properly.
Fast Fragmentation of IT Procurement
IT industry is constantly changing while elements like organizational priorities, strategies, and long-term goals are relatively stable. This imbalance usually occurs because of the sheer selection of software apps to make your business run smarter and smother. But, the way IT procurement is working with the software bundles, it’s making the process ever so popular.
Identify your Software Assets
Software bundling is a process when an author combines solution in the single product. This is also a process when an author combines a series of single products in the area of analytics, database and web services. However, the real challenge here is that publishers don’t make any change in the reporting entries or file attributes to send an indication to the software about the bundle. In result, the software inventory tool struggle to identify bundles from the full products.
This leads to the software inventory being artificially inflated to contain items for which users can struggle to prove their entitlement.
Change Management System in IT
IT experts have plenty of different tools for tracking the alteration made in the system. But, it isn’t easier process, this required immense business sense and optimum level of discipline are required to use these tools. The major step is to gather some form of entitlement management capability. This kind of approach offers a foundation for your software asset management activities. If following things are considered while compiling your software assets;
– Try to keep your product bundle options simple. You should avoid using more than 3-5 separate product options.
– You need to adopt a ‘base + options’ approach – and seek a ‘base’ bundle that packages a minimum of 80% of the desired capabilities, with ‘options’ added from standard licensing arrangements.
– Don’t version upgrade at the product bundle level, this will avoid the issue of synchronicity within the bundle.
– Adopt the standard approach and agree to follow bundles or single licenses across product lines to aid with the simplicity agenda.
– First, think the entitlement lifecycle plan before selecting the course. You should consider all the aspects like; cost, benefits, version upgrades, software updates, and machine management.
Try to Keep Bundles Up to date
Even if you are following the best practices, it’s still hard to say for sure that you’re fully compliant in terms of license usage. Even that every license you are paying is being fully used. That is because the server environment required constant updates and patches to stay running. Moreover, new features are introduced frequently. This means that IT to either replace the existing software and hardware or install new libraries and components.
Hence why it was estimated in 2016, 39% of software installed around the globe were not properly licensed. So, folks for proper business services keep your software bundles updated always.